Body after baby – Month 3

So I had grand plans of getting an update up at 2 months but that clearly didn’t happen and then I planned to actually write this post on the computer but that also didn’t happen. So instead I’m writing this post left handed while baby girl is asleep on my boob.

So let’s talk post baby body… It’s been a rough rode for me for sure. I was active my entire pregnancy so I thought for sure I would loose the weight and bounce back quickly. I had all these plans of working out while Garrity napped and taking long walks with her. Ha! My daughter rarely naps for longer than 20 min and a one mile cry-free walk is a miracle!

I gained a total of 44 pounds (remember that I was 41 weeks plus 3 days preggo) and weighed 180lbs. After the 1st month I lost about 20 pounds and I was jazzed. I thought for sure the rest of the weight would come off that fast. Then in month two I think I lost 5-6 pounds. But then it stopped and I actually gained weight back. I went back up to as high as 160 and it was frustrating! I wasn’t eating the best but I wasn’t eating horribly and I was slowly starting to workout… Ug. It wasn’t suppose to be like this.

As of today, 13 weeks I’m back to 156 pounds meaning I have 20 pounds left to loose but to get to that I have had to really, really clean up my diet and that has been tough. I crave sweets so bad and that’s been the hardest to go without. Plus while temporary, the sugar rush helps me get through some afternoon sleepy moments. But I’m trying g hard to cut it out.

Workout wise, I probably get some sort of workout in every day or two days. I’ve been doing some Jillian ripped in 30, Tracy Anderson post-natal, spin bike riding, elliptical, and one 18 minute run outside. I’ve done some light weights and abs (although I learned today I have some slight ab separation). But it is tough!!! When Garrity does nap I choose to use that time to eat, shower, wash pump parts…so I get my workouts in at night when Chris gets home but by then I’m so tired it’s hard to be super motivated. But I try. I’m also struggling because my knee is messed up. I think all the muscle loss has messed up all the physical therapy I went through so I’m sort of in a chicken & the egg situation… I want to run to lose weight but until my leg muscles are stronger I really shouldn’t be running.

So there you have it. Basically losing weight after the baby is hard! Much, much harder than I thought it would be. 20 more pounds seems daunting and I’m so mushy which is not something I’m used to. And my clothes are so far away from fitting. I live in yoga pants. And the hardest part is that working out is the last thing I want to do. I want to be with Garrity or sleeping on the couch :) I know I’ll get there, it’s just going to be slow and I’m totally comforting myself in the fact that it took me 9 months to put it on and I’m guessing a it’s going to take about that long to take it off.

20140529-141157.jpg

20140529-141221.jpg

20140529-141242.jpg

20140529-141257.jpg

20140529-141316.jpg

20140529-141335.jpg

20140529-141400.jpg

20140529-141426.jpg

10 Responses to Body after baby – Month 3

1. Jess says:

Whitney, I seriously want to just reach through this computer screen and give you a hug. You are an amazing mama and doing such a good job at juggling everything! Please keep remembering to show yourself grace. I’ve been meaning to write a somewhat similar post for awhile now…but the gist: My priorities and fitness (and body) have shifted so much since baby (almost 21 months ago!). And that’s ok. <<<It took me a long while to come to terms with it. Ok, maybe I'm still coming to terms with it. ;)

• Whitney Drew says:

Just now getting around to responding. Thank you! Your comments always make me feel so much better!

2. Marisol says:

Be gentle with yourself, mama! You’re doing a great job, fitting in what you can. You look great! I can so relate to this. I also have 20 lbs left to lose and it’s been so freakin’ hard. I started really watching what and how much I eat and taking mental notes of calories and I’ve lost 4 lbs. I can sometimes get in two walks a day with Liam and then we’ll do a family walk in the evening…and then my hubby will run while I take baby and dog back in. And after his shower, he’ll mind the roost and I’ll do 20 minutes on the bike and weights in our building’s workout room. I know that we’ll get these remaining pounds off! A good friend said “9 months on, 9 months off”…not the greatest to hear weeks before a beach trip, but I get what she meant. :)

• Whitney Drew says:

I love how active you are!! I should try for two walks. That would be an easy way to get a little more cardio in. Thanks for the idea!

3. julie says:

Don’t worry – with that said I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. I’m still pregnant and I have been fussing about the weight as well and I haven’t even started loosing any of it … yet. At the moment I have gained 15 kg and I’m only in week 33 so I guess I’ll end up at around 18 kg. This can totally stress me out at sometimes and I know that I (unless so many others) have to work hard for it to go away again once baby is out.
    BUT… we have to remind our self that it took 9 months to gain so it might take as long as well to get rid off.. :) You look great.
    You might realize that it can take up to 1 year before you are back to your “old body”. Here in the beginning you have to let your self cut some slacks and accept that times will do its magic (and I know how easy it’s for me to say that and I might want you to tell me the same a few month from now when Im the one saying like you…)

But you do look great – and being a mother so suits you.

Keep it up – You’ll get there before you realize it :)
    Have a nice weekend
    Regards Julie

• Whitney Drew says:

Thank you for the encouragement. You’re totally right! It’s going to take a while to be back to normal and that’s ok. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy!

4. Ali says:

You look GREAT! I agree with your friends above – be gentle to yourself and your body! You’ve gone through SO much! There is this ridiculous pressure society has to shed the weight and be a fabulous super mom. It’s not natural. You will definitely loose the weight and be back to your fitness levels. 9 months on and 9 months off. Your body is feeding a baby and recovering. Once G starts solids and gets bigger you will start dropping weight. Your arms will be SO strong from carrying her everywhere. If your body wants a cookie go for it. In time, my friend! Xo

5. Cait says:

I think you look great for a new mama! ( or for anyone haha!) keep up the good work and just keep moving when you can! Enjoy the new mama time b/c when she’s older you will remember those precious baby minutes, not the fact that those few post baby pounds were being stubborn:)